The Sioux Empire Housing Partnership offers rental education â€“ the first step to responsible home ownership. How you pay your rent and bills in a timely fashion and how you maintain your rental unit reflects on what type of homeowner you may be. The subjects discussed in rental education include the following:
Overview of Renting
- • Renting vs. Ownership
- • Understanding the rental process and applicable tenant laws
- • Analyze problems and establish goals
- • Draft a budget
- • Prioritize expenses - necessary and other expenses
- • How to set aside funds for a future goal
Obtaining Rental Housing
- • What type of neighborhood will work for your particular needs?
- • What type of unit is best for you â€“ apartment, duplex, house
- • Apartment inspection checklist
- • The application process
- • Screening policies â€“ why most landlords require a credit and criminal background check
- • The lease - what to look for and how to understand it
- • Deposits and how to protect security deposits
- • Privacy â€“ when can a landlord enter a rental unit?
- • Safety and repair (What is the landlord responsible for and what are his rights?)
- • Roommates and neighbors (Roommate agreements/checklists)
- • Renters insurance â€“ is it necessary?
- • How to deal with landlord disputes
- • Breaking a lease by the tenant or landlord
- • The impact of foreclosures on renters
How you pay your rent and bills and how you maintain your rental unit. Reflects on what type of homeowner you might be. We offer a straightforward course to get you started on your road to homeownership.