The Sioux Empire Housing Partnership offers rental education â€“the first step to responsible homeownership. How you pay your rent and bills in a timely fashion and how you maintain your rental unit reflects on what type of homeowner you may be. The subjects discussed in rental education include the following:
Overview of Renting
Buying your first home can be one of the most exciting times in your life, but it’s also the largest financial commitment you have ever made and should not be entered into lightly. Our goal is to help make your first-time home buying experience great. Our homebuyer educators help walk you through the entire process so you are ready to approach and complete your steps to homeownership with renewed confidence.
Obtaining Rental Housing
- What type of neighborhood will work for your particular needs?
- What type of unit is best for you – apartment, duplex, house
- Apartment inspection checklist
- The application process
- Screening policies – why most landlords require a credit and criminal background check
- The lease – what to look for and how to understand it
- Deposits and how to protect security deposits
- Privacy – when can a landlord enter a rental unit?
- Safety and repair (What is the landlord responsible for and what are his rights?)
- Roommates and neighbors (Roommate agreements/checklists)
- Renters insurance – is it necessary?
- How to deal with landlord disputes
- Breaking a lease by the tenant or landlord
- The impact of foreclosures on renters
HOME BUYER EDUCATION
Our homebuyer educators will help walk you through the entire buying process so you are ready to complete your steps to homeownership with renewed confidence.